When B of A spokesman Lawrence DiRita turned up on the evening news not long ago to assure listeners that his employer was willing to work on a case-by-case basis with troubled customers, we decided to call his bluff. Would DiRita, formerly a high-ranking official in the Defense Department, go to bat for the borrower whose “teaser” loan from the bank was about to shoot up overnight from 0% to 12.24%? Everyone with a credit card has been offered such a loan at one time or another, and it was once possible to initiate one at rates varying from 0% to 4%, with no additional fee for the balance transfer. Not any longer, though. Anyone unfortunate enough to have gotten caught with a large balance when the » Read the full article
The dollar’s recent low missed a Hidden Pivot target that I’d drum-rolled in my commentary by just 26 cents. I offered no target for the current DXY rally, but keep in mind that once it ends, I expect DXY to plummet all the way down to 72.93. Moreover, DXY’s rally may just be getting started because the initial reversal off the 75.83 low (versus a 75.47 target) has had no problem generating bullish impulse legs on the hourly chart. If true, this would mean gold will remain under pressure for a while — perhaps another 7-10 days. The good news is that it is already under pressure but still able to home in on $1000 nonetheless. If $1000 is cruising altitude, as would appear to be the case, that’s good news for long-term bulls.
Considering that Gold has simply been loitering near $1000, chat-room interest in the stuff seems somewhat fevered. Relative to my forecast for the dollar and U.S. Treasurys (see today’s touts), I see bullion remaining under pressure for perhaps another week or two before it advances on a long-standing Hidden Pivot target at 1074.50. I’ll be ready to reconsider if the December futures start pumping out some bullish impulse legs on the hourly chart (or even a mere 1001.70 on the 5-minute bars) , but until that time, keep the 970.80 downside target in mind as a worst-case number for the near term. _______ UPDATE (1:21 p.m.): We lucked out during this morning’s weekly tutorial session when a “camouflage” entry opportunity at 1004.50 popped up unexpectedly, allowed us to get long almost risklessly. The ‘D’ target of the minor pattern used to make entry was 1005.70, but, as is the usual practice with camouflage entries, longs were to hold onto at least a small portion of their original positions for potentially bigger thrills ahead. [Note: Recordings of more than 30 Wednesday sessions are available to all seminar grads. The seminar fee includes three months’ access to the recordings, but if you’ve used that up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to renew.)
At yesterday’s peak, the futures were just a few ticks shy of a potentially important Hidden Pivot target at 121^31. If it fails to contain the surge, however, look for another topping possibility at 122^22, a Hidden Pivot that you can short with a tight stop-loss. Switch to a 5-tick trailing stop on a pullback of 10 ticks, and use 121^24 as a minimum downside target. A top of at least short-term significance is loosely corroborated by a 43.18 target for TBT that I disseminated in the chat room yesterday afternoon. ______ UPDATE: Both vehicles trashed their respective targets, stopping out anyone who attempted to go against the trend.
We can use a midpoint support at 96.97 this morning to attempt bottom-fishing in this vehicle. Bid 1.55 for two October 97 calls (DAVJS), but stop yourself out if the stock trades under 96.89. DIA would be signaling more weakness over the near term to as low as 95.58 if the stop is hit. _______ UPDATE (10:20 a.m.): DIA was trading below the stop when the calls hit 1.55, but if you bought them anyway your loss on exit moments later would have been no worse than $12 per contract. The 95.58 target is still valid.
If the lunatic stocks are about to lead the broad averages higher, we should see Priceline bounce sharply from the 1259.21 midpoint support shown. Yesterday’s low came within 38 cents of this Hidden Pivot — close enough for the target to be considered fulfilled. Any further slippage, however, and its ‘D’ sibling at 1224.45 will be in play. This would imply that the stock market itself is likely to go nowhere, or possibly down, in the days ahead. The stock would become shortable on a decisive breach of the red line (i.e., a breach of perhaps 0.30-0.60 cents0, but if you plan on getting short for the potential $35 ride south, you should initiate the trade on the 5-minute chart or less, using a corrective pattern that would subject you to no more risk theoretically than perhaps 0.15 per share. If the trade works and you are still short when 1224.45 is reached or closely approached, reverse the position and buy at the target aggressively using a tight stop.
Tesla’s bullish rampage looks like it could hit 305.55 on the next big thrust. Accordingly, I’ll recommend bidding 1.54 for the October 3/Sep 5 300 calendar spread 8 times, good till Friday. You should adjust your bid by 0.05 up or down for every 50 cents the stock moves above or below 262.50. Please note as well that a pullback to the red line, a Hidden Pivot midpoint at 241.39, should be regarded as a buying opportunity, especially the calendar spread (albeit it at a much lower price). _______ UPDATE (August 26, 11:43 p.m. EDT): Volatility has gotten crushed, and so you’re doing well if you buy the spread now for 1.34 (with TSLA at 262.00). Since the spread price can fluctuate wildly from one day to the next, I’ll suggest that you recalibrate it hourly if you’re a buyer, using a spread price midway between bid and offer as “fair value.” It has a delta value of around 9 at the moment, so you should adjust your bid for the spread by 0.01 for each 0.11 move in the underlying. _______ UPDATE (August 28, 9:45 p.m.): With the Sep 5 calls melting away, the fair price for our spread must be recalculated several times daily by anyone seeking to buy it. It was a decent buy at Thursday’s close for around 1.20, but it could shed yet another 0.15-0.25 as the week ends.
Subscribers are working two bullish calendar spreads (x16), but I would suggest increasing the size of the position if TLT corrects down to the 115.18 target shown. For now , we are long September 20 118 calls against short August 19 118 calls that we will roll into August 29 calls this Thursday and Friday. We’ve already done the roll twice, reducing the cost basis of the spread to 0.04. This week’s roll will entail covering (buying back) the short calls and shorting a like number of August 29 calls, effectively selling the August 22 118/August 29 118 calendar spread.
It was marked on Tuesday at 0.17, off a 0.26 offer, but any price higher than 0.04 will effectively turn the position we’ll have – long the Sept 20 118/August 29 118 calendar — into a credit spread. This means we can’t lose – will make a profit no matter what TLT does. Ideally, come September 20 , TLT will be sitting at 118, our spread will be trading for around 0.50, and we’ll be carrying it for a credit of perhaps 0.50. The imputed profit would be $1600 — not bad, considering our risk is already close to zero.
My long-term outlook for T-Bonds is very bullish, a view that goes sharply against a consensus which clings to the belief that interest rates – and the stock market — can only go up. That is a bet we should be eager to fade. We may have a chance to do so at still better odds if T-Bonds continue to sell off on the manufactured idea that the Jackson Hole conference will open the floodgates for more stimulus and inflation. _______ UPDATE (10:38 a.m.): The Sep 20/Aug xx calendar spread is recommended at this point only for those who did the original spread, since there’s not enough time left on it to roll its cost basis down to zero or less (i.e., a credit). If you are new to the spread, try buying the Nov 20/August 29 calendar for 0.90 with TLT trading around 115.80. The spread has a delta value of 0.20, implying that being long one spread is equivalent to being long 20 shares of stock. This means that, using a spread price of 0.90 as a benchmark, you should adjust the price you pay for it by one penny, up or down, for each 5 cents that TLT moves away from 115.80. ______ UPDATE (August 23): The strategies detailed above continue to rack up solid gains for subscribers that have come with minimal risk. If you have yet to take a stake, I would strongly urge you to do so, and to monitor reports in the chat room from those who are working the order. If there are any questions about how, and when, to initiate a trade, please don’t hesitate to ask me or others about it. _______ UPDATE (August 26, 12:01 a.m.): These spreads are working well, to put it mildly — especially for subscribers who increased their position size as suggested whenever TLT was weak. Check my August 26 posts in the chatroom for further, detailed guidance. In brief, I am suggesting covering half of the 118-strike spreads for 0.90 or better this week, and to roll the short side of the Nov 22 120/Aug 29 120 to Sep 5. _______ UPDATE (August 28, 12:43 p.m.): The August 29 118 calls look likely to finish in-the-money. To avoid being exercised, make sure you roll into the September 5 calls before noon EDT Friday. Currently, with TLT trading 119.09, the September 5 118/August 29 118 calendar spread is a decent sale for around 0.28. Keep in mind that the spread could widen, to our great advantage, if TLT pulls back, since the August 29 calls we are short will shed value more precipitously than the September calls that we continue to hold as the long side of our position. Even so, you could do worse than take the 0.28 now and run, since it would simply fatten the premium we have taken in on the weekly short, increasing our net credit. With TLT rallying liking a moofoo, the weekly credits will be more significant to our final gain than the calendar spread itself at expiration.
The futures appear to be struggling too hard to get past a relatively modest resistance at 16.410 made last Friday on the way down. Such a thrust would create a bullish impulse leg on the lesser charts, but if it doesn’t happen, look for further consolidation over the near term to as a low as 15.680.