As we went to press Monday night, February Gold was fixing to stop out a bullish position we’d advised that produced explosive, although perhaps fleeting, gains. For subscribers who acted on the initial recommendation made here last week, there was a theoretical profit of nearly $6000 per contract at recent highs near $1767. (Click here for a free pass to our daily recommendations and forecasts.) But because we had resolved to stick with this bullish play and swing for the fences, we watched passively as bullion quotes receded back into the by-now-familiar muck of uncertainty. To be sure, our position will survive if the futures trade no lower than 1716.20. But we’re not counting on it. And if gold were to trigger the stop-loss and continue south, the next place we might consider bottom-fishing would be near 1702.60, a “Hidden Pivot” support determined by our proprietary forecasting method. » Read the full article
Gold was getting socked early Tuesday morning as we went to press, down as much as $23 a short while ago. This was well beneath the protective stop-loss on our single-lot position, and it will put into play a 1702.60 pivot that can be bottom-fished with caution.
The last few rally patterns on the hourly chart have reached their ‘D’ targets, so the worst we should be right now, short-term, is neutral. And yet, it’s hard not to be rooting for the stock market to drop-the-hell-dead, since it will take nothing less than that to start Wall Street on the long, long road back to integrity. Under the circumstances, and so that we don’t come to the races on Tuesday with no horse to bet on, let me suggest using the 1241.00 target shown as a telltale whose breach would earn just a little respect for bears. Bottom-fishing near 1241.00 using ‘camouflage’ is recommended, since a print at that price will be viewed by our competition as a breakdown beneath Friday’s 1242.00 low. What do we care if we can test the water without getting wet.
If the lunatic stocks are about to lead the broad averages higher, we should see Priceline bounce sharply from the 1259.21 midpoint support shown. Yesterday’s low came within 38 cents of this Hidden Pivot — close enough for the target to be considered fulfilled. Any further slippage, however, and its ‘D’ sibling at 1224.45 will be in play. This would imply that the stock market itself is likely to go nowhere, or possibly down, in the days ahead. The stock would become shortable on a decisive breach of the red line (i.e., a breach of perhaps 0.30-0.60 cents), but if you plan on getting short for the potential $35 ride south, you should initiate the trade on the 5-minute chart or less, using a corrective pattern that would subject you to no more risk theoretically than perhaps 0.15 per share. If the trade works and you are still short when 1224.45 is reached or closely approached, reverse the position and buy at the target aggressively using a tight stop.
Tesla’s bullish rampage looks like it could hit 305.55 on the next big thrust. Accordingly, I’ll recommend bidding 1.54 for the October 3/Sep 5 300 calendar spread 8 times, good till Friday. You should adjust your bid by 0.05 up or down for every 50 cents the stock moves above or below 262.50. Please note as well that a pullback to the red line, a Hidden Pivot midpoint at 241.39, should be regarded as a buying opportunity, especially the calendar spread (albeit it at a much lower price). _______ UPDATE (August 26, 11:43 p.m. EDT): Volatility has gotten crushed, and so you’re doing well if you buy the spread now for 1.34 (with TSLA at 262.00). Since the spread price can fluctuate wildly from one day to the next, I’ll suggest that you recalibrate it hourly if you’re a buyer, using a spread price midway between bid and offer as “fair value.” It has a delta value of around 9 at the moment, so you should adjust your bid for the spread by 0.01 for each 0.11 move in the underlying. _______ UPDATE (August 28, 9:45 p.m.): With the Sep 5 calls melting away, the fair price for our spread must be recalculated several times daily by anyone seeking to buy it. It was a decent buy at Thursday’s close for around 1.20, but it could shed yet another 0.15-0.25 as the week ends.
Subscribers are working two bullish calendar spreads (x16), but I would suggest increasing the size of the position if TLT corrects down to the 115.18 target shown. For now , we are long September 20 118 calls against short August 19 118 calls that we will roll into August 29 calls this Thursday and Friday. We’ve already done the roll twice, reducing the cost basis of the spread to 0.04. This week’s roll will entail covering (buying back) the short calls and shorting a like number of August 29 calls, effectively selling the August 22 118/August 29 118 calendar spread.
It was marked on Tuesday at 0.17, off a 0.26 offer, but any price higher than 0.04 will effectively turn the position we’ll have – long the Sept 20 118/August 29 118 calendar — into a credit spread. This means we can’t lose – will make a profit no matter what TLT does. Ideally, come September 20 , TLT will be sitting at 118, our spread will be trading for around 0.50, and we’ll be carrying it for a credit of perhaps 0.50. The imputed profit would be $1600 — not bad, considering our risk is already close to zero.
My long-term outlook for T-Bonds is very bullish, a view that goes sharply against a consensus which clings to the belief that interest rates – and the stock market — can only go up. That is a bet we should be eager to fade. We may have a chance to do so at still better odds if T-Bonds continue to sell off on the manufactured idea that the Jackson Hole conference will open the floodgates for more stimulus and inflation. _______ UPDATE (10:38 a.m.): The Sep 20/Aug xx calendar spread is recommended at this point only for those who did the original spread, since there’s not enough time left on it to roll its cost basis down to zero or less (i.e., a credit). If you are new to the spread, try buying the Nov 20/August 29 calendar for 0.90 with TLT trading around 115.80. The spread has a delta value of 0.20, implying that being long one spread is equivalent to being long 20 shares of stock. This means that, using a spread price of 0.90 as a benchmark, you should adjust the price you pay for it by one penny, up or down, for each 5 cents that TLT moves away from 115.80. ______ UPDATE (August 23): The strategies detailed above continue to rack up solid gains for subscribers that have come with minimal risk. If you have yet to take a stake, I would strongly urge you to do so, and to monitor reports in the chat room from those who are working the order. If there are any questions about how, and when, to initiate a trade, please don’t hesitate to ask me or others about it. _______ UPDATE (August 26, 12:01 a.m.): These spreads are working well, to put it mildly — especially for subscribers who increased their position size as suggested whenever TLT was weak. Check my August 26 posts in the chatroom for further, detailed guidance. In brief, I am suggesting covering half of the 118-strike spreads for 0.90 or better this week, and to roll the short side of the Nov 22 120/Aug 29 120 to Sep 5. _______ UPDATE (August 28, 12:43 p.m.): The August 29 118 calls look likely to finish in-the-money. To avoid being exercised, make sure you roll into the September 5 calls before noon EDT Friday. Currently, with TLT trading 119.09, the September 5 118/August 29 118 calendar spread is a decent sale for around 0.28. Keep in mind that the spread could widen, to our great advantage, if TLT pulls back, since the August 29 calls we are short will shed value more precipitously than the September calls that we continue to hold as the long side of our position. Even so, you could do worse than take the 0.28 now and run, since it would simply fatten the premium we have taken in on the weekly short, increasing our net credit. With TLT rallying liking a moofoo, the weekly credits will be more significant to our final gain than the calendar spread itself at expiration.